Pages

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

A Teacher's Job is Never Done: Reviewing Curriculum Standards

Today I want to talk about curriculum standards on Teacher Tuesday. As educators, we teach using standards by subject area to guide instruction.  One of my favorite things to do is to analyze standards. That's what I'm doing tonight:
I have stacks of documents all focusing on teaching language arts in 2nd grade. I also have lots of devices across the table where I can have access to other electronic documents as needed. My goal is to compare the current Common Core Language Arts standards to the previous GPS standards and to standards from other states that are modifying Common Core. 
"Why am you doing that?"
I'm glad you asked...
Our school is preparing for a vertical team meeting on Language Arts soon. Since I am new to 2nd grade this year, I want to make sure I know where we've been and where we're going in Language Arts instruction.  
This comparing and analyzing the standards also helps me make sure I am being the best Language Arts teacher that I can be. Are my students getting the best education that they can receive in my class? 


No comments: