Pages

Monday, January 20, 2014

Experience History: MLK, Jr.

When I was in the 6th grade in 1986, my class memorized a portion of the "I Have a Dream Speech" by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.  My friend, Shelly, and I can still recite some of it: "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."
In 2011, Hubby and I were fortunate enough to take our children to the Lincoln Memorial. We stood on the very spot where MLK, Jr. stood when he spoke those words. There is a marker on the ground  where he delivered his speech.
 




If you can't make it to Washington, D.C., then you can visit the exhibition at the Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Site in Atlanta. Here are some pictures from our visit in June 2013:

So on this Mom Monday, I encourage you to get out and visit historically significant sites. Help your children experience the history that they learn about in school. 

No comments: